11 WAYS TO CUT YOUR ENERGY BILL
- One of the easiest ways to cut your heating and cooling bill is to make sure that your attic has 7 inches (R-22) or more (up to R-49) of fiber glass or rock wool insulation.
- A simple step we often ignore-replace or clean your AC vents once a month.
- Don't leave your bathroom ventilator running longer than necessary, as it can drain your entire house of cooled or heated air in about an hour.
- Don't leave the fleu of your fireplace open when not in use.
- During the summer keep your drapes closed in the heat of the day. In the winter keep the south facing window drapes open.
- Make sure all windows are caulked and weather-stripped to save 10% off your H/AC bill.
- White window shades or blinds will deflect the heat away from your house.
- Lower hot water costs by installing low-flow shower heads and faucets.
- Insulate your water heater and set its thermostat at 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can cut up to 50% off your lighting costs by replacing 25% of the bulbs in your main-use areas with fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lights are more expensive but also last 6-10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Plant trees ASAP. Well placed trees will not only lower your energy costs but will increase the curb-appeal of your home and make your yard a more enjoyable place to be.